The Training Visa (Subclass 407) is an Australian temporary visa that can be granted for up to 2 years. It is a visa that allows you to come to Australia to take part in workplace-based training or professional development activities.
What are the stages involved in the Training Visa (subclass 407)?
There are three stages involved in the Training visa:
1. 407 Visa Sponsorship
For an employer to sponsor an applicant on the 407 Training visa, the employer must be an approved “Temporary Activities Sponsor”.
To become a Temporary Activities Sponsor, the employer must be one of the following:
- be an organisation that is lawfully operating in Australia
- be a government agency
- be a foreign government agency
The cost of the Temporary Activities Sponsorship application is AUD420 (credit card or PayPal surcharge applies). There are no fees for Temporary Activities Sponsorship made by Commonwealth agency.
Once the Training visa sponsorship is approved, it will be valid for a period of 5 years.
As the Temporary Activities Sponsor, you must meet the obligations as the 407 visa sponsor.
2. 407 Visa Nomination
The Training visa nomination application is lodged by an approved Training visa sponsor or an employer who had lodged an application to become an approved Temporary Activities Sponsor (in this case the sponsorship application will need to be approved first before the nomination application will be approved).
The nomination process is required to:
- Identify the position required to be filled
- The skills, qualifications and work experience required for the position to be filled
- The applicant who is being nominated to take part in the activity
- Identify the nomination eligibility type
- Identify the proposed training program
There are three types of occupational training (nomination eligibility types) and they all have different requirements.
a) Occupational training required for registration: this type of training is for those who are required to undertake workplace-based training to obtain their registration, membership or licensing in Australia or their home country, in their occupation.
b) Occupational training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation: this type of training is for people with suitable experience (that is recent) in the nominated occupation and who are looking to undertake a workplace-based training programme that is structured. The nominated occupation must be on the Training visa occupations list.
This type of occupational training program must be structured and tailored to the training needs of the applicant and the training must comprise of at least 30 hours a week, of which 70% of that training must be conducted in the workplace
c) Occupational training for capacity building overseas: this type of occupational training consists of three categories:
- Overseas qualification: this category is for students who are enrolled in an educational institution overseas and are required to undertake a period of practical training, research or observation to obtain their qualification or the opportunity to undertake up to 6 months structured workplace-based training in Australia.
- Government support: this category is available for students who have the support of a government agency in Australia or in their home country.
- Professional development: this category is available for overseas employers to send their managerial or professional employees to Australia to undertake a tailored professional development programme.
The cost of the nomination for the subclass 407 visa is AUD170 (credit card or PayPal surcharge applies).
The person being nominated for the occupation must have at least functional English language skills. To prove you have functional English, you must provide one of the following evidence:
|Functional Level of English|
|Passport||You are a citizen of and hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, and the Republic of Ireland.|
|School||Completed ALL years of primary school education and at least 3 years of secondary education in Australia or overseas, and all instructions were in English.|
|Secondary Education||Completed at least 5 years of secondary education in Australia or overseas, and all instructions were in English.|
|Other studies||Completed at least 1 year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English.|
|Degree||Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least 2 years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.|
|Scores based on four test components of Speaking, Writing, Listening and Writing.|
|IELTS||Average score of at least 4.5|
|TOEFL iBT||a total band score of at least 32|
|PTE||an overall band score of at least 30|
|CAE||an overall band score of at least 147|
|Important Note:||Your test must have been completed within 12 months of your visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
3. 407 Visa Eligibility
To be eligible for the Training via 407, you must:
- be sponsored by a temporary activities sponsor
- be 18 years old or above (except in limited circumstances)
- meet health requirements
- meet character requirements
- have adequate health insurance for the duration of your stay in Australia
- have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily
- have the ability to support yourself (and any accompanying family members) while you are in Australia
- have functional English language skills to complete the training and meet the occupational health and safety standards
- have relevant qualification and experience required for the position
The base visa application fee is AUD285 (credit card or PayPal surcharge applies). Additional application fee applies for dependent applicant(s).
What is the 407 visa processing time?
The 407 visa processing time as per the Department’s website is 49 days – 82 days. This processing time was last updated on 22 August 2018. Please note that updates occur on a regular basis.
See Global visa and citizenship processing times for most recent updates.
How Can Crux Migration Help
Wecan assess your eligibility and help you understand the Training visa requirements and processes involved.
We can help you prepare the application, prepare your training plan, guide you and your employer through every step of the application process and represent you from start and until a decision is made.
You can book a consultation with our Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents (formally known as Crux Migration). We will go through more specific requirements with you, tailoring your application according to your circumstances to ensure a smooth 407 visa application.