If you are looking to study in Australia as an international student, you must apply for a Student visa (subclass 500).

The Australian Student visa will allow you to live and study a full-time course in Australia.

Length of Student Visa

A Student visa can be granted for up to 5 years depending on your course of study.

Student Visa Requirements

International students wanting to apply for an Australia Student visa must:

  • Be enrolled in a course of study that is CRICOS – registered or primary or high school program.
  • Be granted a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from the course provider that you intend to study. You must provide the CoE with the Student visa application. An offer letter is NOT acceptable.
  • If you had applied for more than one course (e.g. foundation studies and a Bachelor’s degree), you MUST provide ALL Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) in the Student visa application.

Meeting the Genuine Temporary Entrant Criteria for the Student Visa

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) criteria are one of the main criteria that you must satisfy for the Student visa. It applies to all Student visa applicants.

As the applicant, you must show that you are a genuine student who intends to complete your studies in Australia and generally, will return home when your study ends.

The GTE criteria is an integrity measure for the department to measure international students’ intention to study in Australia, and not merely using it as a pathway to remain in Australia.

The Department assesses a number of factors when assessing whether or not an applicant meets the GTE criteria. Ministerial Direction 69 sets out the factors that are taken into consideration and include:

  • Circumstances in the home country or country of residence
  • Potential circumstances in Australia
  • Value of the course to the applicant’s future
  • The applicant’s immigration history
  • If the applicant is a minor

Our article on the top 10 tips to satisfy the genuine temporary entrant (GTE) for Student visa explains the extensiveness of the GTE statement.

English Language Requirements for the Student Visa

You may need to provide proof that you have met the English language requirements for the Student visa. The required English test score is as follow:

English Test Minimum test score Minimum test score where combined with at least 10 weeks ELICOS Minimum test score where combined with at least 20 weeks ELICOS
IELTS 5.5 5 4.5
TOEFL iBT 46 35 32
Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English) 162 154 147
PTE 42 36 30
OET B for each test component N/A N/A

*the test must be taken no more than two years before the student visa is lodged.

You may be exempt from the English language test if:

  • You are a citizen and hold a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland
  • You have previously studied English for a certain period of time and in a certain country or in Australia
  • You have studied in a certain type of course

Financial Requirements for Student Visa


You will need to provide evidence that you have the financial capacity to support yourself (and any dependent), pay for your course and pay for any school aged dependant(s) tuition fees.

You will only need to provide evidence of financial capacity for the first 12 months.

You will need to demonstrate that you have access to this fund while you are in Australia.

You must provide one of the following proof of funds for your Student visa (subclass 500):

  1. 12 months fund – Provide evidence of funds to cover travel cost to Australia, living cost for 12 months, course and funds to cover tuition fee for school-aged dependants and your accompanying family members. An accurate calculation is required.

Minimum funds that you will need to prove for the Student visa is:

Living Costs (from 1 February 2018) ·       student/guardian – AUD20,290

·       partner/spouse – AUD7,100

·       child – AUD3,040.

Course First 12 months or total costs if the course is 12 months or less.
Travel Costs ·       Outside Australia – AUD2,000

·       If from East or Southern Africa – AUD2,500

·       If from West Africa – AUD3,000

·       In Australia – AUD1,000

School Costs for School-Aged Dependant (s) Minimum of AUD8,000 per year for each child

** you may not need to provide this if you are a Ph.D. student or had received an Australian Commonwealth Government scholarship.

  1. Provide evidence that you meet the annual income requirement. Personal annual income must be of at least AUD60,000, and AUD70,000 if there are accompanying family members.
  1. Secondary exchange student – provide an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students (AASES) form.
  1. Foreign Affairs or Defence students – provide a letter of support from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.

Health Insurance for Student Visa


You and any accompanying family members must maintain adequate health insurance while you are in Australia on your Student visa.

All students any accompanying family members must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the Student visa. OSHC covers both hospital and medical insurance in Australia.


Character Requirements for Student Visa


You and any accompanying family members must meet character requirements for the Student visa to be granted.


Australian Student Visa

As an international student you must:

  • Comply with all your Student visa conditions
  • Maintain adequate OSHC for the duration of your Student visa
  • Update your education provider if you change contact details and/or address
  • Maintain your attendance and satisfactory course progress

Working Rights for International Student Visa Holder & Dependent

Applicant Course in session Course out of session
Main applicant (student) who have started a Coursework Degree 40 hours per fortnight Unlimited hours
Main applicant (student) who have started a Research Degree Unlimited hours
Dependents of primary student visa holder enrolled in a Master or Doctorate degree Unlimited hours
AusAwards or Defence students 40 hours per fortnight Unlimited hours
All other students 40 hours per fortnight Unlimited hours
All other dependents 40 hours per fortnight Unlimited hours

How Can Crux Migration Help

We are here to make your student journey easier and your visa application stress-free.

Agape Henry Crux (formally known as Crux Migration) provides realistic and professional advice, in line with your needs and migration goals. We can assist you in applying for your Student visa and writing submission to satisfy the Genuine Temporary Entrant criteria.