Subclass 485 Visa
They Temporary Graduate visa is commonly known as the 485 visa or the Graduate visa.
If you are an international student, you may be eligible for the Temporary Graduate visa subclass 485 after you graduate from your course(s).
This is a temporary visa and allows you to live, work full time and study in Australia for the duration of the visa grant.
485 Visa Requirements
To be eligible for the 485 visa you must meet the following requirements.
- You have completed at least 2 years (92 weeks) of full-time study in a course (or courses) registered by CRISCOS in Australia
- You are younger than 50 years old
- You hold an eligible visa
- You have met the English language requirement i.e. you have obtained IELTS equivalent of 6.0 overall with a minimum score of 5.0 in each of the four test components
Note: You are exempt from an English test if you hold a valid passport issued by the UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country
- Your degree(s), diploma(s) and/or trade qualification(s) satisfies the Australian study requirements in the past six months
- You meet health and character requirements.
The 485 Visa Has Two Streams
1. Post- Study Work Stream
The Post-Study Work Stream is commonly known as the Post Study Work Visa or Post Graduate Visa.
If you have completed a bachelor’s degree or higher qualification, your visa may be granted for two years and up to four years, depending on the highest qualification you had obtained in Australia.
To be eligible for this post study work visa you must meet the following additional requirements:
- Your first student visa in Australia was granted on or after 5 November 2011
2. Graduate Work Stream
The Graduate Work Stream is commonly known as the Graduate Work visa.
If you have completed a graduate degree and your occupation is on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLSSL), your graduate work visa may be granted for 18 months.
To be eligible for this graduate work stream you must meet the following additional requirements:
- Have obtained a positive skills assessment for your nominated skilled occupation assessed by a relevant assessing authority
- Your degree, diploma or trade qualification used to meet your skills assessment requirement is closely related to the occupation that you nominate for this visa.
485 Visa Application Fee
Australian visa application fee can change from time to time, for most recent or up to date fee, please see here.
This visa is exempt from the ‘Subsequent Temporary Application Charge’.
Note: You might have to pay additional costs for:
- Additional applicant 18 and over
- Additional applicant under 18
- other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.
485 Visa Processing Time
The Department of Home Affairs updates the (estimated) processing time for Australian visa applications monthly. For most recent or up to date 485 visa processing time, please see here.
Click on the photo below to see 485 visa infographics.
How Can Crux Migration Help
The Temporary Graduate visa may seem like an easy and straightforward process, but there are strict requirements that must be met at the time of the 485 visa application.
Crux Migration can assess your eligibility and help you understand the requirements and processes involved in the subclass 485 visa application.
You can book a consultation with one of our migration specialists who will go through specific requirements with you and guide you through the application process, tailoring your application to your circumstances and ensuring the 485 visa requirements are met.
485 Graduate Visa
If you are applying for the Graduate Work stream you must:
- Nominate an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) that is related to your recent studies in Australia.
- Obtain a positive skills assessment from an appropriate assessing authority for the occupation you are nominating.
If you are applying for the Post Study Stream, Skills Assessment is not necessary, but the studies completed must be at least a Bachelor level or higher.
The answer is no. The 485 visa application MUST be lodged within 6 months of completion of studies.
If you had applied for the 485 visa under the Graduate Work Stream and it was granted, your visa will be valid for 18 months from the date of grant.
If you had applied under the Post Study Work Stream, the period that your visa will be granted for will depend on the type of qualification completed. It is as follow:
- 2 years: Bachelor degree of Masters by Coursework
- 3 years: Masters by Research
- 4 years: Doctorate (PhD)