If your only near relatives live in Australia and are Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible NZ citizen, they may be able to sponsor you for a Remaining Relative Visa to live, work and study in Australia.

This is a permanent residence visa in Australia.

The sponsor must be able to provide you Assurance of Support.

There is a long waiting time for this visa and can take up to 50 years to process.

Remaining Relative Visa Eligibility

The sponsor of a Remaining Relative Visa

Your sponsor for the Remaining Relative visa must be:

  • The sponsor is
  • your parent, brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister or one of their partners.
  • 18 years old or older; and
  • Settled in Australia
  • An Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand.
  • The sponsor must agree to provide you with accommodation, support and financial assistance for the first 2 years of your residency in Australia.

You may not be eligible for this visa if your sponsor has been granted or successfully sponsored someone for:

  • Remaining Relative visa subclass 835
  • Remaining Relative visa subclass 115
  • Preferential Family visa subclass 104 (now closed to new applicants)
  • Family visa subclass 806 (now closed to new applicants)
  • you or your partner have any near relatives, who are usually living outside Australia, or only living in Australia on a temporary visa, Bridging visa or unlawfully.


You must also meet the following requirements:

  • health
  • character
  • no outstanding debt to the Australian government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian government before the visa is granted.

What the Remaining Relative Visa lets you do


This visa allows you and your family to:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely as an Australian permanent resident
  • travel to and from Australia for five years (after which you will need to apply for a resident return visa)
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if eligible in the future)

You can include the following people as a dependent on your application:

  • your partner
  • your child/stepchild or your partner’s child/stepchild.

You can apply for the Remaining Relative visa onshore or offshore, depending on your eligibility.

Remaining Relative Visa (Subclass 835)


This visa is for you if you are in Australia (Onshore).

You must be in Australia when you lodge the remaining Relative Visa Subclass 835 and when the visa is granted.

Remaining Relative Visa (Subclass 115)


This Visa is for you if you are outside Australia (offshore).

You must be outside when the application for the subclass 115 is lodged and when the visa is granted.

Remaining Relative Visa Infographics

835 -- RR                  RR - 115-2

You can book a consultation with our Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents (formally known as Crux Migration). We will go through more specific requirements with you, tailoring your application according to your circumstances to ensure a smooth 186 visa application.