If you are an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible NZ citizen you may be able to sponsor your parents to live, work and study in Australia

As the Parent visa migration programme is capped and queued, there is a long processing time of up to 30 years. Your application will be processed in the order in which they are lodged. You might want to consider the Contributory Parent visa migration programme which has a much shorter processing time.

The Parent visa can be lodged in Australia (onshore) or outside Australia (offshore), however, the applicant must meet all requirements to lodge a successful Parent visa application.


Core requirements for the Parent Visa Migration Programme

For your Parent to be eligible for the Parent visa they must:

  • Meet the Balance of family test which means at least half of their children must live in Australia on a permanent basis
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Able to provide Assurance of Support (AoS) when requested by the department

Parent visa Sponsor

  • The sponsor (you) must be an Australian Citizen, permanent resident or eligible NZ citizen who is settled in Australia
  • 18 years old or older
  • If you are under 18, your parent/s may be sponsored by the following if they are 18 years old or older:
    • Your spouse or de facto partner
    • Your relative or guardian
    • Your relative or guardian of your spouse or de facto partner


  • Your parents can be sponsored by a community organisation if:
    • There is a relationship between the organisation and you
    • A senior representative of the organisation agrees for their organisation to sponsor your parents
    • The organisation is lawfully established in Australia and the organisation has been actively operating in Australia for at least one year
    • The organisation has the capacity to meet its financial commitments

Definition of ‘settled’:

  • Australian Citizen, permanent resident or eligible NZ citizen who have been living in Australia for at least two years
  • Australian citizens can reduce this for three months if there are compassionate and compelling circumstances.

!!A Sponsor can sponsor more than one parent for this visa!!

Parent Visa Subclass 103

Your parent/s can be in or outside Australia when the application is lodged.

They must be offshore (outside Australia) when a decision is made on their application.

If they are in Australia, the department will ask your parent/s to leave so they can make a decision on the application.

Aged Parent Visa Subclass 804

Your parent/s must be onshore (in Australia) when the Aged parent visa application is lodged and when a decision is made.

They will be able to remain in Australia until a decision is made on a Bridging visa.


Additional requirements for the Aged Parent visa subclass 804:

  • Your parent/s must be at the age where they are eligible for an Age pension in Australia

Note: about 65 and six months in Australia (maybe older depending on when they were born).

The Parent Visa

Once the visa is granted it is a permanent visa and it lets your parents:

  • Live in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enrol in Medicare
  • Travel to and from Australia for 5 years (after which they will need to apply for a Resident Return visa)
  • Age Pension and social security payments are not available automatically. They will have to wait:

–       Two years for most social security payments.

–       Ten years for age and disability pension payments.

Parent Visa Migration Infographics

Parent Visa Ages Parent-2

Contact Us

You can book a consultation with our Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents at Agape Henry Crux (formally known as Crux Migration). We will go through more specific requirements with you, tailoring your application according to your circumstances to ensure a smooth Parent visa application.


Fill in the Form

Fill in the form below and one of our Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Parent Visa FAQ

What are the differences between Contributory and non-contributory Parent visas?


The core requirements for both the parent category and the contributory parent category are similar. However, there are key differences and these are:

  • Applicants applying for the parent (non-contributory) category have a significantly longer wait for applications to be finalised (it can take up to 30 years or more)
  • Applicants applying for the contributory parent category are accorded a higher priority for processing
  • Applicants for a contributory parent visa pay a substantially higher second instalment of the visa application charge (per person) and a larger assurance of support (AoS) bond with a longer AoS period.
How do I pass the balance of family test?


The balance of family test requires that at least half of your children live permanently in Australia, or that more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

In order to be considered as “living permanently” in Australia, your children must be:

  • Australian citizens
  • Australian permanent residents who are usually resident in Australia
  • eligible New Zealand citizens who are normally resident in Australia.
Do I have to provide an Assurance of Support?


Yes. This requirement cannot be waived in any circumstances.

All permanent Parent visa applicants must provide an AoS before a visa can be granted.