In order for the child to be eligible for the Orphan Relative Visa, their parents must be deceased, permanently incapacitated or of unknown whereabouts.
The child’s sponsor must be the child’s relative and must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible NZ Citizen.
The orphan relative visa can be lodged onshore or offshore.
Orphan Relative Visa Requirements
- The child must be younger than 18 years old
- The child is not married or in a de facto relationship
- The child meet health and character requirements.
The child’s parents
- The child is in a situation where their parents are unable to care for them. This could be because:
- The parents are dead
- Incapable of caring for the child
- Cannot be found
Please note that the child will not be eligible for this visa if their parents could care for them, but they do not want to.
Orphan Relative Visa sponsor
- The child is sponsored by their relative who is:
- The brother, sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle or step-equivalent of the child
- Older than 18 years of age
- Live in Australia on a permanent basis
- Be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
Orphan Relative Visa Subclass 837
If the child is onshore (in Australia), they may be eligible to apply for this visa if they meet all requirements.
The child must be in Australia when the application is lodged and when a decision is made on the application.
Orphan Relative Visa Subclass 117
If the child is offshore (outside Australia), they may be eligible to apply for this visa if they meet all requirements.
The Child must be outside Australia when the application is lodged and when a decision is made.
The Orphan Relative Visa
This is a Permanent visa in Australia once it is granted.
The visa lets the child:
- Live here indefinitely
- Work and study in Australia
- Enrol in Medicare
- Travel to and from Australia for five years (after which they will need to apply for a resident return visa to travel and return to Australia)
- Apply for citizenship when they become eligible
Orphan Relative Visa Infographics
We can assess your eligibility and help you understand the requirements and processes involved in the Orphan Relative Visa.
You can book a consultation with our Immigration Lawyers and Migration Agents (formally known as Crux Migration). We will go through more specific requirements with you, tailoring your application according to your circumstances to ensure a smooth Orphan Relative visa application.