Frequently Asked Questions About Working in Australia

Working in Australia

1. Can I work in Australia?


Yes, but your eligibility to work will depend on the type of visa you are holding. Each visa granted will have its own work rights, some will allow you to work full time, some will not allow you to work at all and some will only allow you to work for certain hours per week.

For example:

  • If you are holding a student visa studying for a Bachelor degree, you can work part-time 20 hours per week
  • If you are holding a Visitor visa you cannot work
  • If you are holding an employer sponsored visa you can work full time BUT only with your sponsoring employer.
2. How can I apply for the employer sponsored visa?


There is three main employer sponsored visas available and all of which requires you to have an Australian business to sponsor you for an occupation that you are qualified for and the business genuinely needs. Your occupation must be available on the skilled occupations list.

The three types of employer sponsored visas available are:

3. How do I find out if my occupation is on the skilled occupations list?


If you are looking to apply for the TSS visa, you can visit the Subclass 482 Legislative Instrument.

For ENS visa, you can see all occupations on the Subclass 186 Legislative Instrument.

There is two occupations list available for RSMS visa. You can see Subclass 187 visa Legislative Instrument for eligible skilled occupations. You can see eligible skilled occupations which require skills assessments here.

4. How and where can I find an Australian business to sponsor me?


There are many jobs seeking websites available with new jobs listed every day. We’ve listed some of the top job seeking websites below:

  • Seek – one of the most popular career sites in Australia
  • Grumtree – popular free classified site
  • Australian Jobsearch – Government funded free database
  • Indeed – largest growing site, you’re bound to find something here!
  • LinkedIn – a great platform to present your career profile and connect with potential employers.
5. Will I be able to work full time if I get sponsored through one of the employer sponsored visas?


Yes, if your employer sponsored visa is granted you must work full time with your sponsoring employer.