Frequently Asked Questions About Visiting Australia

Visiting Australia

1. If I want to visit Australia, what visa do I need to apply for?


If you intend to travel to Australia for tourism, to visit family and/or friends or for business visit, you can apply for one of the following tourist visas.


The Australian visa you need to apply for depends on your country of passport, your intention to visit Australia and how long you plan to stay in Australia.


Types of Visa Purpose of Visit
Visitor Visa Subclass 600 ·      Wants a holiday in Australia or to visit family and/or friends

·      Study for up to three months

·      Engage in business activities, provided you do not sell goods or services to the public and you do not provide services or work for business or organisation while you are in Australia holding this visa

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) Subclass 601 ·      You are a tourist

·      You are travelling for business visitor purposes

eVisitor Subclass 651 ·      Tourism (holiday, to see family and/or friends), recreation)

·      Travelling for business visitor purposes (e.g. attending conference, exploring business opportunities or negotiating)

2. Can I work while visiting Australia?


No. You cannot work while holding any of the tourist visas mentioned above.

3. How much is the application fee?


You can see FEE to find out more about the application fee.

4. How long will my visa take to process?


The department updates the estimated processing time on a monthly basis. You can see Global Visa Citizenship Processing Time for accurate visa application processing time.