On 18 October 2017, the Government proposed amendments to the Bill.
What are the new requirements?
As a result of the proposed amendments and subject to the passage of legislation, the new requirements for citizenship will come into effect on 1 July 2018 and include:
- Increasing the general residence requirement, from two years to four years permanent residence immediately prior to their application for citizenship with no more than one year spent outside Australia during that period
- completing a separate English language test, where applicants will need to demonstrate English language listening, speaking, reading and writing skills at the modest level before applying for citizenship by conferral
- strengthening the Australian values statement to include reference to allegiance to Australia and requiring applicants to undertake to integrate into and contribute to the Australian community
- strengthening the test for Australian citizenship through the addition of new test questions about Australian values and the privileges and responsibilities of Australian citizenship
- a requirement for applicants to demonstrate their integration into the Australian community
- strengthening the pledge to refer to allegiance to Australia, and extending the requirement to make the pledge to applicants aged 16 years and over for all streams of citizenship by application, including citizenship by descent, adoption and resumption.
What does this mean for people who have already applied for Australian citizenship?
If you applied before, on or after 20 April 2017:
If you applied for Australian citizenship before, on or after 20 April 2017, your application will be assessed against the eligibility criteria in place when you applied.
If your application has not yet been finalised, we will write to you when it reaches the next stage of processing, or if we require any further information or documents.
What will this mean for people who apply for Australian citizenship in the future?
If you apply before 1 July 2018 (subject to the passage of legislation):
If you apply before 1 July 2018 (subject to the passage of legislation), your application will be assessed against the current eligibility criteria.
If you apply on or after 1 July 2018 (subject to the passage of legislation):
From 1 July 2018 (subject to the passage of legislation), the new requirements for Australian citizenship will take effect. If you apply for Australian citizenship on or after this date, your application will be assessed against the new requirements.
Book now and find out more about your eligibility and the processes involved in the Australian Citizenship application.